Thursday, July 26, 2012

Unit ten

Unit ten took a while.  I began working again and was having the issues with connectivity at work vs. access to my computer and home network.  That being said, learning MySQL was .... fun?  No, really.  I had a time when I got stuck on a prompt and left me hanging with a '>.... what the heck?  Well I finally figured out that it meant I needed to close a single quote.  So, finished that and voila... suddenly MySQL was easy.  It all comes down to learning the correct commands.
I did not find SQL to be any easier or more difficult than the other languages.  It all comes down to knowing what you want to do and finding the command to do it.  A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.
The class for me has been mostly about applying these technologies instead of hearing the words.  Sure I had heard of linux, or SQL, or XML, or what have you, but rarely had I been forced to use them.  Having a class ensured I actually made sense of what we read.  But the reading was tough.  Actually, the reading was probably the toughest for me.  A lot of it would make sense until it did not make sense.  Then I started reading for the sake of reading.  Giving it a break would usually help, but did not work in the weekly time constraints so well.  Ah well.  I am glad to have taken the course, but it was rough.  Not sure I would want to go through it again.
Now to have time at home to finish the database and complete exercises ten through 12.  almost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment